FOR WHAT???

Friday, September 4, 2009

Complication Minor



Moped under construction




Just picked up a sweet Polini 4-petal and 19mm manifold from Woolly Bully Christopher. It was off from a LateBirdy race bike that was sold to Chris and then consequently blown and parted out and sold to me.  I initially thought the manifold was made by Shaw but turns out that it was a Choke especial. It sealed well anyways.  All of the electrical wiring on this Tomos ST was on the left side..  the wiring is kinda messy and looking to clean it up as soon as possible. Some off the holes were threaded in the frame from the factory, which made it a little bit easier to wire up.


 
The 19mm intake manifold is pretty sweet. The intake fits perfectly under the Tomos frame, which seems to be the problem with putting on a 4 petal onto a Tomos.  Another problem I ran into was that on a A55 frame, the petcock is on the left side and gets in the way with the reed cage on the Polini. If i was running the Malossi 4-petal, this wouldnt be a problem i think. But if I was runnin the Malossi, I would've had made a different manifold which would have been more time consuming and costly.
Also, the stock carb position is on the right side, which makes putting on a PHBG kind of difficult to adjust, as the controls on the PHBG is on the left. With the new manifold, it shoots the carb on the opposite side of stock Tomos but on the correct side of the controls. Its a good compromise.
For now this seems to be the solution. Running a straight fuel line to the filter then the carb. Im planning on getting an inline fuel valve soon. having no petcock kinda sucks
As soon as I was done, i took the little black Tomos for a ride.  I gained more lowend from my  previous setup and top screams like a banshee. Feels good all around but i think im jetted a little lean on top i think. I had this weird low end bogging from being too rich and having a crappy manifold with the 2 petal. But alll of that is gone now. The ST idles perfectly, revs smoothly and has no airleaks! sweeeeeet. I suspected the crappy 2 petal manifold, although a healthy 21mm, to be air leaky and unreliable.  I guess I was right because as soon as I put that shitty manifold on, I lost alot of low end. Especially compared to Knucklehead Zachs bike, which was almost the same exact set-up except a bitchen 2 petal 19mm manifold made by Shaw. Zachs bike had so much torque that it would pull wheelies in first and second gear.
So now that I have my torque back with a good intake, its blast mode. tootaloooooo

No comments:

Post a Comment