FOR WHAT???

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Sad Sack Sachs


This 78 Sachs balboa is in sad shape! I bought this moped like over 2 years ago. I rode it around everywhere for about a thousand miles until I bought the Sprint.  This moped sported the 505/C, which was pretty torquey and very reliable. Solid 35mph.  Since then, I cant seem to find the time or monies to get this thing going again. I originally bought this Sachs unknowingly with a sheered key way on the crank. Me and my pops made a janky ass one that held up for months! until the timing kept on slipping again. I think this would cause that.


 Seems like the previous owner tried to get to the stator somehow, stripped the threading on the flywheel nut and managed to mangle the woodruff keyway also. Myrons Mopeds had a crank for the 505 at the time but wanted waaay too much money for it than i had at the time.  I said fuck it and couple months ago I took the engine cases apart to study and to attempt to change all of the seals, which i did have (cam on to HandyBikes)   The seals looked immaculate, so did the gears and internals.  Wow really looked brand new. I suspected as much because the odometer read only 400 miles when i first bought the bike. The speedo and odometer was almost always surprisingly accurate too. VDO i think.

 
But since then, the Balboa has been stripped of headlight, handlebars, some controls and some crank and pedals.



AND and I haven't even finished putting the case halves together yet. Easy stuff right?!?  I just don't really wanna put the cases back together with the crank looking the way it does.  I guess Ill have to source one somewhere... sometime. or try to use my air Impact to really torque that flywheel onto the taper. That might hold.  or maybe wishful thinking. man i hope this works.

No comments:

Post a Comment